Skip to content

Nevermind – Nirvana Brought Nihilism To The Masses

September 9, 2011

Nevermind. It was the gateway drug to ‘whatever’.

Nirvana brought nihilism to the masses.

They made it finally cool to actually not give a shit. The Sex Pistols, The Smiths, Happy Mondays- they all pretended not to care. Nirvana  didn’t need to pretend.

Here we are now, entertain us…

That’s why the kids expect ‘art’ to come to them.

Oh well, whatever, nevermind.

Advertisements
9 Comments leave one →
  1. CraigB permalink
    September 9, 2011 5:11 pm

If you don’t care about shite, you dont blow yr head off… You turn into a fat bastard!
    HAPPPY MUNDYS!!!!!

• September 9, 2011 8:23 pm

Interesting perspective. But even a fat bastard has more chance of getting round to caring about shite than a corpse.

2. Deggis permalink
    September 10, 2011 5:01 pm

Aren’t they all pretending if they’re successful?

• September 10, 2011 11:10 pm

well Cobain is dead. I don’t think he is pretending. I am not sure what you mean?

3. Deggis permalink
    September 11, 2011 5:56 am

I mean, he wasn’t always dead. How do you know he wasn’t pretending not to care when Nirvana broke out? Surely someone who didn’t, genuinely care would not even attempt to become successful. Like a band I know who only play secret gigs in their apartment twice in the last three years. I’m not saying I’m right, I like Nirvana and the Smiths, and I have no problem with successful bands, but a guy who does an MTV unplugged must care about what he’s doing, right?

4. Stavrogin permalink
    September 11, 2011 6:57 am

my view on Cobain is, he got to the top and it wasn’t enough. Like Scott Fitzgerald, maybe he just found it tedious…?

But then no one can go 100% accidentally into success…he must’ve had some desire to be praised/adored otherwise he would’ve quit.

5. September 11, 2011 6:08 pm

You are both right Deggis. And that secret apartment band sound brilliant!

I am not saying Kurt Cobain himself did not care about music or success. Though Stavrogin is right – ‘success’ was probably a big let down for him.

But I think Nirvana, the band, really did mythologise ‘nevermind’ the attitude in a way Morrissey could only dream of.

6. Styloceros permalink
    September 15, 2011 6:56 am

7. Stavrogin permalink
    September 16, 2011 12:08 pm

Stick a camera in a guy’s face and stare at him until he panics and starts talking shit. This was my reading, but could be wrong…