How to peel a banana (a year end review)
9 months or so ago zizekpress.com started to happen…to you.
The first blog post was designed with ill intent – we had a fantasy book in a castle. Let’s do a big list of castles in Fantasy books. This was back in the days when we tried SO HARD to sell out but failed.
This is called CONTENT ENGINEERING. This is a job people have. This is where you look what the people want and you make it for them and you put it on the google conveyor belt and the conveyor belt delivers it to them and they say “yay” or [best case] “w00t!”
Once you do this once, you start to think that everything you do is Content Engineering. Were you really interested in Lars Von Trier, or did you just want some EYEBALLS?
You start to second guess yourself. Why write about Terence Trent D’Arby? Is he due a revival within your core demo?
THE ONLY CURE to C.E. anxiety is to remember that the books we wrote are good. And to imagine the sad disappointment of people who came here because they REALLY DID HAVE SOMETHING THEY NEEDED TO KNOW ABOUT BRADLEY COOPER’S PANTS.
Here are our most viewed Posts for the year (like these are the posts that people came down the CE pipeline and landed face first in…most of our shorter posts you can read right from the home page so I am sure they were dearly loved by our TRUE FANS)
- Post about fantasy castles: people really want to know more about the castle in Lord of the Rings? WHY…? I haven’t seen it. Is it shaped like something? Does it have ironing board shaped trap doors?
- Post about the Easter Eggs in Sucker Punch: people want more… want to stay immersed in these worlds. Want to get deep into these ladies. But when they are in, deluded and wearing strange things, they look for Easter Eggs like the Spinning Top in Inception to let them get out of their Mainstream Sanctioned Kinky Fantasies.
- Interview with the cast of Hangover 2: it was the hot movie so okay yeah, i get it. But so many searches for Bradley Cooper’s pants or trousers. Yes both Yankee & Limey had interest in the pants. Is it a joke in the movie? Was Bradley looking dapper? I guess the only way to know would be to watch the movie.
- Cars 2 review: Also the hot movie, we broke the embargo imposed by reality itself to break this review. I hope at least one grandmother read it to her grandchild in earnest, like my own grandmother read me a story about skinning a small alien and draping it on your own body at my request, each word passing through the small space between eye and mouth without leaving a single trace.
- The guys from Buffy: Where are they now? People just want to know. We turn on the TV and they haven’t changed…the sexy TV guys…but in the meantime fat has crawled over us and our knees are full of weevils and we eat rhino horn and tiger bollock by the kilo but the Buffy people haven’t changed. So…what’s up with that, we wonder.
2012 begins. We’ll keep writing about the things on our minds. And if our minds have been content engineered then … what are we gonna do?
There’s always the books.